Saturday, September 22, 2012

Army Five in Military Custody for Fund Embezzlement

Military Leadership Group sowing seeds of Illegality among members
 Fiji Times News
FIVE army officers are in military custody for more than one week over allegations of discrepancies in the regimental funds.

Republic of Fiji Military Forces chief of staff, Brigadier-General Mohammed Aziz confirmed this to The Fiji Times, saying the officers were arrested more than one week ago for allegedly embezzling military funds.

"There are five of them and not seven as speculated. They have been kept in the military cell," he said.

"The pay officers have been referred to the board of complaints within the military force."

When asked if it was true that families of the officers were only allowed to visit them twice a week, Brig-Gen Aziz said he could not comment on this because investigations were being carried out. He further revealed that the investigations were being carried out by the military police.

Several telephone calls were made to this newspaper on Monday, with callers saying family members were concerned that they were only allowed to take food and clothes to the suspects at the military headquarters in Nabua at a certain time.

When contacted earlier this week, Lieutenant-Colonel Amani Suliano said all information about the investigations would be released by Brig-Gen Aziz, who said an official statement was expected to be released soon.
by Nanise Loanakadavu
 

No comments: