Thursday, February 17, 2011

Illegal Fiji Regime Ushers in Increase Mental Disorders


Mental disorders increase

Shalveen Chand
Fiji Times - Thursday, February 17, 2011
AT least one in every 10 adults in the country suffer from some form of mental disorder, the World Health Organisation estimates.
According to its report on mental health in Fiji, WHO estimated that 3 per cent of the adult population have a severe mental disorder and 10 per cent or 48,000 have mild to moderate mental health problems.
But the WHO said no epidemiological data was available regarding the national prevalence or burden of disease of mental disorders.
A worrying trend for the WHO however is the treatment gap as only 5800 or 15 per cent of those with mental health problems are seen annually at the country's only psychiatric facility. The other 85 per cent are not treated.
Figures from 1994 with 2007 showed there had been notable increases in the utilisation of already existing mental health services at St Giles.
St Giles Hospital showed 53 per cent increase in the number of outpatients; 63 per cent increase in new admissions; 53 per cent increase in re-admissions; and 56 per cent increase in total admissions.
This has been attributed in part to increased awareness of mental disorders in the community and improved diagnosis by health workers in the periphery.

No comments: