Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Board of inquiry to decide officers fate


www.fijilive.com-Tuesday April 17, 2007

Army spokesman Major Neumi Leweni
A military board of inquiry will be sitting in Labasa today to determine whether three senior Fiji military officers who allegedly incited soldiers not to take part in checkpoint duties should be brought to Suva for further interrogation.

Military spokesman, Major Neumi Leweni said if necessary the officers will be brought to Suva some time this week.

He said there were two Warrant officers and a Captain allegedly involved in the incident.

Its alleged the officers disobeyed direct orders and incited junior officers not to man checkpoints.

"The two Warrant officers are currently being held at the Labasa police station because the army barracks in Labasa does not have a holding cell like the one at the Queen Elizabeth Barracks in Suva," Major Leweni said.

He said the other Captain is currently staying at his village.

"At the moment he is not being arrested but he will be brought for questioning once it is required."

The alleged incident took place last month.

No comments: